If you worked as a freelancer, your tensions are much more than any working individual. The first thing that comes to your mind is- what health insurance will be there for the self-employed? The Affordable Care Act has mentioned certain important factors about how the self-employed should buy, maintain and pay for the health insurance plans.
Gallop and Healthways Stats for Self-Employed
According to Gallop and Healthways tracking records on adults lacking any sort of healthcare coverage, there was a constant increase in the rate of uninsured for the self-employed since 2008 and went to 17.1% maximum in 2011.
How is Health Insurance for Self Employed Useful?
All the health insurance facilities about tax reductions apply to the self employed. You may be able to reduce cost coverage to a great extent. A little research on Obamacare may be helpful to understand how to manage health insurance for the self employed using Obamacare.
Benefits of Obamcare for Self-Employed Enrollees
The best part about Obamacare for self-earning people are – the premiums you pay for your dependents are fully tax deductible. Even if you get deductions on your dental and other ancillary expenses, it doesn’t affect your tax deductions and different other credits on tax and medical assistance costs.
Present world where almost every two out of three people are trying to take up self-employment, health insurance scheme suitable for them is most essential. However, before you embarked upon buying one such plan, you need to know these 7 things about PPACA:
1. Every individual, along with the self-employed person has to get minimum coverage and for the entire term. Else, they will have to pay penalty in taxes.
2. There can be various cost supports provided to you, based on what your family earns. These qualifying events are CHIP, Medicaid, Subsidies on cost sharing, Premim credits on taxes, etc…
3. In case you plan to buy health insurance in your Open Enrollment, you can only buy it from the health insurance marketplace or exchange. Moreover, if you buy individual health coverage, you can ask for cost assistance from the state’s Health Insurance Marketplace or Federal Exchange.
4. What savings you can make from the marketplace depends entirely on how much net income you show for the coming year. In case you have projected something for the coming year and you actually earned less or more, make sure you immediately update the amount difference in your plan to avoid tax payment risks.
5. You have fully deductible monthly premiums. According to Self-Employment Health Insurance Deductions(Tax), you can reduce your gross income by the sum your entire family gives in health insurance premiums. You can enjoy tax deductions in dental insurance for the self employed as well.
6. You are ineligible for self-employed healthcare coverage in case you remain eligible for an employer-based plan through your spouse.
7. Self-employed corporates with multiple employees can no longer reimburse employees for their individual and family health insurance plans.